When I moved into my new apartment, I wanted to replace my cable service with something that was more affordable, and something that would provide me with a larger selection of television on demand. Cable television was great, but the inability to watch something when you wanted to, and having to sit through one commercial after another was getting old. After asking friends and family what they thought, they consistently recommended the Roku 3 streaming media player. It had everything I needed to replace the overly priced cable box, and was a good deal I couldn’t pass up. I’ve been using the Roku 3 for a while now, and with the extra cash that I’ve saved from not having that enormous cable bill, I’ve been able to buy a new television to go along with the high definition content available on the Roku 3.
The Roku 3 isn’t much larger than a deck of playing cards, so it is easy to place anywhere near the television. The controller that comes with the device is very comfortable, and unlike the remote for my old cable box, isn’t the size of a brick. With modern Bluetooth wireless technology, you don’t have to point the remote right at the box for it to work, and you don’t have to be very close to the television either, in fact I am able to go to completely different room and control the Roku 3.
With the latest in Wi-Fi technology built in, you don’t have to worry about where the device is as opposed to where your router and modem are. You can have your Roku 3 hooked up to a television in another room, as I do, and your router and modem in a completely different room. This is really convenient when you have multiple televisions in a house, with multiple Roku devices connected to them.
- The speed at which the Roku 3 responds to your every input is faster than other devices similar to it, and definitely faster than that of your standard cable box. This is important when streaming shows and movies over Wi-Fi, because any delay in performance is detrimental to the overall experience.
- You can also use it as a video game system. When flipped sideways the bluetooth remote acts as a controller, with the standard d-pad and buttons you would normally find on other video game consoles. This is not something you will find on other streaming media players.
- The search function allows you to search multiple providers for your favorite show or movie, so you don’t have to go into each individual service to find what you are looking for, but rather have everything right there on the main screen.
- The Roku 3 automatically updates itself. You don’t have to worry about constantly checking to see if the system has the most current version of the software. This is all done for you in the background.
- There have been times where the wi-fi lost connection with the router while in the middle of watching a show. This hasn’t been a huge problem and is usually rectified in less than a minute.
- The power supply that comes with the Roku 3 is almost as big as the system itself, though this says more about how small the device is than how large the power supply is.
I wanted something to replace my aging cable television service. Something that had the latest wireless technology and software to access all of my favorite television shows and movies, and something affordable. The Roku 3 Streaming Media Player met all of those needs, and then exceeded them.