I wouldn’t say I’m an audiophile, however I do appreciate good speakers. So when I purchased a new laptop, I didn’t expect to have any need for external speakers, as I was told that the speakers on the laptop would be sufficient for what I was using it for. But I was completely disappointed when I found out that in fact I needed to purchase an external set of speakers. Most laptop speakers are simply not good enough for even the most basic sound output, especially when it comes to music. So when I decided to go out and find speakers that would be good enough to play my music, the audio for the videos and movies I played, and for internet voice chat, I immediately looked at Sony products. I already own a pair of Sony headphones, and a Sony LCD television, so I already trusted what they built.
I wanted something affordable, but something of high quality. After looking around for awhile, and comparing various brands and models, I came upon the Sony SRS-A3 multimedia speakers. When it comes to sound from speakers, it was important for me to get the full range of sound, from the highs and the lows. These speakers only set me back a measly $30, and for that, I got a heck of a deal in sound quality. I kind of feel like I ripped the store off.
The desk that my laptop sits on is not big enough for a full speaker set, with a subwoofer. I never needed that kind of power with my sound, and was happy to find that the Sony SRS-A3s were compact in design. They are self powered, so the small ac adapter hardly adds any size to the package as a whole. But you still get the advantage of self powered speakers. Which when compared to speakers that aren’t self powered, the sound can go up much higher, and the sound also tends to be of much higher quality, which the SRS-A3s are.
They are simple to install and use. All you have to do is plug in the ac adapter, and plug the audio connector into the port in your computer. Once that is done, you are all set to use them.
- Even with the volume at the maximum level, the sound never degraded. This is especially important when listening to music in a very large space, because sometimes you need to have a lot of volume to cover the whole area.
- For a speaker system that doesn’t have any kind of sub woofer, the bass is very good. Though these aren’t the sound system for your entertainment system, they deliver excellent bass for a desktop speaker system.
- Hardware wise, these speakers are built smart. They aren’t large, and in fact they are pretty compact for the sound they produce. They are also angled in a way that delivers sound directly at the person listening to them.
- If you find the need to do so, they have a headphone jack in the front of the left speaker, so you can listen to your music and movies in private.
- The volume control mechanism, and the on/off power switch are awkwardly small, and located on the side of the speakers, which I sometimes find hard to access.
I set out to find an affordable pair of speakers to compliment my laptop on my desk. I expected to spend close to $100, and found these speakers at almost a quarter of that cost. If it weren’t for trying them out in the store beforehand, I would have just expected them to be low in quality. The Sony SRS-A3 Speakers are definitely not low in quality for sound, and they delivered exactly what I was looking for in a portable speaker system. If you are looking for an affordable speaker system for your desktop or laptop computer, I can’t recommend theses speakers enough.